Sunday, March 6, 2011

Drink this read that

And now for another installment of my world famous column in which I suggest some reading material and a nice beverage to go along with it. Seriously folks I tried this before (here and here). Since no one burned me at the stake I'll try it again.

Being a sci-fi geek and even bigger Star Trek aficionado I decided to use my end of year bonus (generously given to me by some really great people I work with) on pure unadulterated splurging. After getting MW a gift, the details of which will remain unpublished as that would ruin the surprise, I decided to buy something nice for myself. Not wanting to spend too much yet wanting a good entertaining ST related experience I decided to get this:


Yes it is what it is. The way I see it, it's the best of both worlds. I am too tired from work to read through a novel (I know this is blasphemy for a writer such as myself, but hey that's just how my brain is) yet don't have the time to blast my way through a video game.  So I can read short quips along with nice big pictures to go along with them. Which is what comics are after all.

Now this collection of comics go back to 1967. Being the nerd that I am I plan on reading all the ST:TOS comics followed by ST:TNG, ST:DS9, and then ST:VOY (sorry enterprise no soup for you). So right now I am knee deep in comics from the age of flower power and free love. The ads have been faithfully reproduced which give you an insight of how American culture was (pig skin suede shoes anyone?). It's frightening how we gleefully celebrated a brutal past (decedents of frontiersmen peddling BB guns to little boys or commemorative coins for the Hiroshima, Nagasaki atomic attacks).

Aside from those novelties I also don't like the writing of the earlier comics too much.  The dialogue is out of character and the references to ST technology is incorrect (they're not radios!). Plus the drawings of the characters do not resemble the actors who portray them. It's hard to determine who is saying what. I only see a blue eyed blond haired macho man talking, I didn't realize that was suppose to be Scotty until much later. I know that this is just a temporary things and as I make my way down through the years the quality will definitely improve. I am looking forward to the movie adaptions that the comic book people came up with.

Of course my TV viewing suffers because of this. But hey it's worth it. I'll only drop out of FTL to watch my shows like SGU, Mythbusters and Star Wars: The Clone Wars. No more flipping channels for me I gotta get through literally hundreds of comics. I'll keep you posted on my findings!

So what should one drink to accompany this medley of geeky fun. Why water of course. I see too many of my fellow geeks wasting away their health drinking colas and other sugary sodas. Later on they complain about not feeling well. Gee, I wonder why that is? Water, especially mineral water is really good for your health. You quench your thirst without having to worry about getting diabetes. Drink it cool or at room temperature you will enjoy its refreshing goodness. My favorite brands are cheap and inexpensive and they always beat tap water hands down.

UPDATE: The comics from the 70's are lame. The writing is shotty. Don't get me wrong there are a few good ones. Which keep me coming back but overall I am dropping out of FTL more and more often as I lose interest. The comics from the mid 70's are picking up the slack as the drawing are more engaging and the storyline are much more complex. Why don't you skip ahead to the good ones you ask? Well I am to much of a stickler and prefer to take it on one comic at a time. I'll let you know if they get better.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

thanks ida! stop by anytime!