Sunday, October 24, 2010

Cooking up a storm

This weekend had me cooking up a storm. I kicked things off by heading down to the local C-Town. The owner is Palestinian and he hired mostly Bengali girls to man the cash registers (who says Muslim Unity can't happen?) Since he's the owner he has some leeway in his neck of the woods that's why he offers up halal delicacies like rotisserie chicken, ground beef, steaks, chicken and deli meats. Believe you me as a Hanafi I can really appreciate what this brother is offering. I decided to get some marinated chicken I could slice it up and use it as filling for my sandwiches, which I can easily stuff into my bag and take to work. I also loaded up on ground beef and got an Ortega Taco Dinner Kit.

After slicing up the chicken (which was fall off the bone perfection) I fixed myself a sandwich just to see what was in store for me. Pretty good if I do say so myself. Then I started working on the tacos. Nothing says prosperity more than a skillet full of meat. I can thank my new found job for that. It's been really rough but everyone has been real supportive. Something that I am very grateful for. The only thing that I can really complain about is the location. They're out in Long Island and I am in the city. With no car to speak of I am at the mercy of public transportation to get me to and from work. Which sucks because it costs a fortune. Luckily a co-worker is nice enough to pick me up and drop me off. Living in the same neighborhood helps.

But at any rate I don't like to burden others with my problems. That's why I am working on getting my driving license. I had one when i turned 18 but we left NY for good soon after. Upon my return I learned that since my license was expired for over 2 years I had to start the process all over again. It was like being in high School again as I poured over the driver manual. I briefly answered some sample questions and then went in to Jamaica's DMV.

Even if you get there early there will be a line wrapped around the block. That's because the building also houses workman's comp and a city run temp agency. So as people file in they filter off to various sections. I follow the DMV crowd which further breaks down as we reach the various queues inside the office. I got my picture taken (grizzly as usual) and then I went in to take the test. I nailed it the first time around, it mostly asked about alcohol consumption. Lucky for me the sample questions I answered were also on the test so go me!

Several weeks later with permit in hand I went to a nearby driving school and signed up for lessons. This Saturday was the first one. I came early to take the 5hr class and then went for a ride with the instructor. He was a friendly guy and bought me some tea (yes they are all desi). He was very knowledgeable and helped fine tune my skills. Hopefully I'll nail the road test when the time comes. Now all I have to do is save up for a car.

And that's how you cook up a storm.

UPDATE: Just to keep you posted about my shopping habits. I bought a bag of candy for trick or treaters. No one came yet, oh well, more for me! That's why you should by candy you like so that you can finish it. Otherwise it will get old and moldy and you have to throw it out. speaking of old and moldy i finally opened an old spice deodorant my late father gave me several years ago. It still smells fine and rolls on easily. So i use it but keep a close eye on my pits as they are very sensitive.

No comments: