Friday, May 30, 2008

Welcome to the outskirts

In a previous post I promised to show pictures of my surrounding area. Well to do that you have to get out of town.




Here's a road in my neighborhood that takes you to the Northern Bypass. A network of highways heading into the interior of Sindh.



The inner loop of the bypass hugs Dreamworld. They decided to put this resort on the outskirts of Karachi to get away from all the hustle and bustle of the big city.


Here's a view from the other side. Notice the water slides and the hilltop restaurant. You can get a some mean french fries from there.



Here's an example of the fertile yet arid terrain I was talking about.




The heat is intense during the month of May, good thing I had the AC on.



Here's a convoy of trucks heading up north. Most of them carry goods from the seaport to the interior. Some of them go beyond that travelling all the way to Punjab.



Ahh yes the chief guests for my barbecue have arrived! They probably belong to some villager who let them loose to graze. To bad their grazing interferes with my driving.




So that was a glimpse of what you would see if you travelled to the outskirts of Karachi. If you kept traveling north the next big city that you would hit would be Hyderbad. Along the way you would also run into tiny villages. Inhabitants would most likely speak Sindhi. I am not fluent in that language so I would have trouble conversing with them. But I can speak Urdu, the national language, so maybe I would have a shot.

6 comments:

kimby said...

What beautiful countryside. Thanks for posting them!

I love seeing the different places we all live.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kimby. That's what I am all about.

Nathan said...

You, Anne and MWT are all going to drive me crazy.

Too. Many. Pics. to look at.

:D

Unknown said...

Damn it! How did you learn of my secret plans of netwide psychosis?

vince said...

Hey, I love the pictures from everywhere. They don't drive me crazy, I'm already crazy.

And like Kimby, I love seeing pictures from different places where people live.

Anonymous said...

Crazy is as crazy does. btw who's the guy in the avatar?