Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Mind Numbing Study Session

Today was spent studying for 12 hours straight! I have finals at the end of this week and I am getting in some last minute study time. I already know the material, I try understanding it as we go along. But for finals all that info needs to be on the surface. The best way for me to do that is to make notes. I just jot down a brief outline of the material which helps me focus and "connect the dots". It seems simple enough but when you're talking about a whole semester worth of content it gets pretty grueling. But you know what they say no pain no gain.

I am looking forward to the end of the semester. I'll be liberated from having to take an endless stream of classes. Giving me more time to work on my thesis and mess around online. Some of my classmates aren't so excited about the semester ending. They're worried that they may have to repeat it. It's tough to comfort someone when they're in that position. They know you're doing fine and don't want your sympathies. What can I say to that? I won't apologize for doing well.

Anyway the study session was pretty hard on my brain. I think I blew out a couple dozen neural pathways. Any time I concentrate too hard my neurons stop firing and refuse to think. That's when I have to coax them into action with some kind of stimulus. My favorites are caffeine, sugar, a power nap, exercise, TV, web surfing, and my all time favorite a shot of garam masala.

2 comments:

Nathan said...

Never, ever, ever apologize for doing well.

Unknown said...

Well said.