Sunday, December 19, 2010

Look what came in the mail!

I was coming home from work when I entered my apartment building. As per my routine I made a beeline to the mailboxes. I have to go all the way to the end because that's where the top story apartment's boxes are. I slid in my key and was hoping to find some important documents my lawyer was suppose to send me (which he didn't but that's another post) but instead I found this:


Isn't that nice? It's a greeting card from my employer. They are very nice people over there and I am lucky to be with them. That certainly made my day. I know I haven't been around here for awhile but I promise to do the minimum three posts per month thing. That's not a rule just something I challenge myself to accomplish.

Anyway I was fresh out of ideas when this card came along. What could be better than wishing each other Happy Holiday? So in the spirit of the season I am wishing all my readers a prosperous New Year and happy holidays (order doesn't matter, does it?). Of course for me This coming weekend will be just like any other. We don't get off Christmas eve so no long weekend. Plus in case you don't know I don't celebrate Christmas, boo am I Moslem.

But New Years gets me tingly something about learning to remember what year to write on my checks all over again seems like fun. We use the Gregorian calendar so much it's a shame we are not as adapt when it comes to the Islamic calendar. I couldn't name all the months if my life depended on it.

In other news I am still struggling to reunite with MW. We have come a long way in the immigration process but thanks to constant nit picking there is always something lacking. We always seem to be scrambling to find and assemble some kind of form or package of documents. When will this ever end? There has got to be a better way. Like teleport her over to our apartment. Then she could integrate into society and no one will be the wiser. "She just got in last night." I'll say if any one asks why they haven't seen her before. Sounds like a plan eh?

Speaking of challenges there is one I will be confronting tomorrow morning. No details about it just yet, less I want egg on my face which is no fun because its eggs...on your face.

So what arrived in the mail that cheered you up? Plus what are you holiday plans? Share with the class in the comment thread. Tata for now.

UPDATE: So what was the mysterious challenge that I didn't want to mention? Well it was my road test. You see when I was out of the country my license expired and by the time I came back it had already been more than two years. So the nice folks at the DMV told me that I had to start all over. So I did. I breezed through the written and got my permit fairly easily. Then came time for upgrading to the actual license.

Taking advice from elders, I decided to take classes first. I signed up with a nearby driving school. I took the five hour class which allowed me to schedule a road test appointment. I would be a month away. So in the meantime I was taking lessons every Saturday for about an hour. The first few lessons were kind of tense I hadn't been behind the wheel in NYC for awhile. But then it all came back to me. My instructor was very impressed and assured me that I would do fine.

On the day of the test I took off work and was in line waiting my turn. When the examiner climbed in with me we started the test. Going through the motions. I was doing okay, just a few minor mistakes like making a wrong turn (he said right i went left) not observing enough (I am a seasoned driver and didn't think it necessary to crane my neck like a chicken just to show my examiner I was checking my mirrors) and oh yeah my examiner was getting pissed at me for the minor mistakes....sooooo...not doing so well. The final nail in the proverbial coffin was when I had to turn left into a parking lot. On coming traffic was present but distant. I slowed down to turn but then hesitated coming to a complete stop. That's when he erupted "Come on man! There's no stop sign" So I braced my self and entered the opposite lane and quickly moved out of the way. The cars whizzed by without incident.

I pulled over and resigned myself to the impending verdict. "Sir, you need to take this test again." which was a nice way of saying you failed. My instructor went over what went wrong and scheduled another road test for me. Which was a month away. Joy. I had a month of anxiety to look forward to. I loss sleep over this folks. I needed my license to get to work, so that I could provide for my family. I watched you-tube videos showing what to expect during a road test. The SMOG (Signal, Mirrors, look Over shoulders, go) acronym put my worries at ease, plus Scan! Scan! Scan! is also a good tip (10 points for not observing folks, so every bit counts). They also explained that this was more about just driving skills but also a performance review. You had to perform for the examiner. It didn't matter if you had been driving for 10 years or 50 years if you didn't meet their expectations you weren't getting a license.

So taking that to heart I retook my exam this past Monday. I am happy to announce that I have been licensed to drive in the state of New York! Woot! Stay tuned for more good news in the coming days.

UPDATE2: Since this was a post about the holiday season it seems fitting place my new year wishes to my dear readers here. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! We made it through another year, may this one be filled with joy and prosperity for us all, Ameen.

No comments: