Monday, October 20, 2008

Raising Angels

I don’t have kids, not yet at least. However I am a proud uncle and have two lovely nephews. I am not the primary caregiver for these tots. My sister and her husband are doing a marvelous job. I see how crazy they get chasing after the kids and I salute them for their valiant efforts. I am perceived as an authority figure by my nephews and have a certain degree of influence in their upbringing. Even though I only share a small percentage of this responsibility, I get nervous when I tell them about the world.


You see at this stage they’re empty vessels which can be filled with good or bad. In more geeky terminology they’re formatted hard drives waiting for instructions. I can very well mess them up, which scares me. That’s why I check and recheck what I say around them. I make sure that they hear the truth in an honest and objective manner.


The little one could care less what I say as long as he’s fed and well rested you can call him “billy-poo” and he’ll be okay with that. His older brother on the other hand has a lot on his mind and he needs to know things. Favorite phrase: “What’s that?” normally this gets tiring but on occasion I have fun answering his questions.

Pointing towards the sky “What’s that?”

“That’s the moon.”

“Can you live on the moon?”

“No not yet.”

“I wanna live on the moon.” Now I can either encourage him and say that someday you just might do that (this is based on current research being conducted to make space habitable) or do I give him a dose of reality and tell him that it won’t happen in his lifetime (this is based on the current economic crisis which is forcing governments to slash their R&D funds). My mind was caught between imparting joyful idealism or pessimistic realism. In the end I kept quiet and took him inside, it was dark and my sister was calling us. The mosquitoes were biting and dinner was ready. The galaxy would just have to wait.

I was glad to handover the child, I felt like I had dodged a bullet. But a time will come when I won’t be able to. When that time comes I hope to say the right thing.

7 comments:

vince said...

The fact that you realize that you have influence and want to do what's best for them says a lot.

Sometimes there are no easy or simple answers, so you just have to do the best you can. It seems to me you're doing just fine.

mattw said...

Sounds like you know what you're doing. So I wouldn't worry too much.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. You are also doing a great job with Logan.

Anonymous said...

What cute kids - that oldest one has beautiful eyes. (Can boys have 'beautiful' features?)

It sounds like you're doing a superb job of being an uncle.

Anonymous said...

Sure they can. Of course when they grow up they prefer handsome ;)

Janiece said...

You'll be okay. Honesty is the key ingredient, and you seem to realize it.

John the Scientist said...

Give him both versions, and then emphasize that what he does with his life can tip the balance between sooner and later on space exploration, in the way he votes, reacts to things, and perhaps in what he chooses to do with his life.

That's what we do. Occasionally, we overload them, and they say "but I didn't ask about that." We tell them it's buy one get one free on answers at our house. :p