Friday, August 29, 2008

The wait is over

I know you've been eagerly awaiting my announcement. And that you're about to burst with excitement. Since I don't want you bursting and messing up the carpet, I'll come clean.



I got a job! You're looking at the latest addition to the SQA department of an up and coming tech company. They create software for banks. And have their systems running in all major banks of Pakistan. Plus they have clients in the middle east.

I sent in my resume thinking nothing of it. But then I got called in for an interview, then another and another. After an exhaustive round of interviews (these guys aren't the tag team) I was finally extended a job offer. "Are you interested?" they asked


"Most definitely!" This morning I inked a deal with their HR department making it official. I start monday and can't wait. I met a lot of buddies from college during orientation. Everyones really friendly and happy. Which is great I can carry their positive energy home with me, making me less snippy.

Now to send some positive energy your way. In celebration I am taking everyone out for a round of yummy milk shakes!!! mmm...minty.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Saqib! That is fabulous news and I hope it makes all the hard work in your education worthwhile.

I was actually thinking about you the other day and wondering - did you spend a significant amount of time growing up in the states? Do you think in English as easily as your native language? Or are you primarily an English as a second language speaker? Because your written English is excellent, flowing and colloquial, and even your creative work rings true.

This is probably a good job skill. :)

I think what made me think of that was watching the movie version of "Mamma Mia" and realizing how truly awful the lyrics to the Abba songs are - and wondering how much of that was English as a second language, and how much of that was just awful songwriting.

Unknown said...

My parents immigrated to the US during the 70's. The usual reasons education, better opportunities. I was born in Indiana, lived there for 5 years then moved to New York, lived there for 14 years. Then my family and I decided to move to Pakistan. This wasn't a spur of the moment thing. We thought long and hard about. I wanted to do it because I wanted to know about my heritage.

It's funny in social studies we're told are forefathers did this and did that. That never made any sense to me. I knew my ancestors never came to the new world on the Mayflower. So I had this feeling of being out of place.

I think in English, but now that I've lived In Pakistan for so long I can also think in Urdu! However I was never taught to read and write in Urdu so I can only speak it. Actually my 9th grade english teacher loved my writing and encouraged me take creative writing classes. I always did well in those subjects. But I have to credit my mom for getting me "hooked on books". She would take me to the library and show me all these wonderful books I could read. We would bring home a huge stack and go through all of them.

That's a habit that's stayed with me. I discovered sci-fi on my own!

vince said...

Let me add my congratulations on your job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that must have been some serious culture shock moving from NY to Pakistan as a young man - even if your family did try hard to maintain cultural traditions within your family it had to have been a bit of an eye-opener.

Do you miss the US? How long have you been back in Pakistan now?

Anonymous said...

There was an adjustment period that I had to go through. Frequent power outages and chaotic traffic was the biggest challenge. Also the utter poverty in some areas is still shocking to see.

I miss the US a lot. That's one of the reasons I blog, to keep in touch. People don't get my jokes over here ;)

Unknown said...

thanks vince! you get a banana milk shake :)