Saturday, April 19, 2008

Weekend Assingment #212

As many of you already know I am pretty good at writing fiction. This isn't the case with writing poetry. The less said about my attempts at this style of literature the better. So you won't find any botched sonnets, couplets or haiku here. (believe me this is for your own good)

That's not to say I don't enjoy poetry I dabble in it every so often. Some rock songs have excellent lyrics that can be considered poetry. Stuff by the Wallflowers, Creed and even Metallica fits into this category.

But if I were to name a favorite poet I would have to turn to my heritage and invoke the late master of the Urdu Language Allama Iqbal. His stirring poetry was the catalyst for galvanizing the masses who ultimately ousted the British Empire from the Subcontinent. He is credited with being the first to formely propose a seperate homeland for the Muslims of India, however he was unable to see this new nation as he died before its birth.

He is also known for presenting Islamic ideals in an eloquent manner through his prose. He wrote primarily in the Urdu and Persian language. Some of his work has been translated into other languages, including English. A must read for anyone interested in Islam or the culture of Muslims in the Indian Subcontinent.

=========================================================
Want to learn more about the weekend assingment?
Then check out Karen's Blog!=========================================================

3 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I'm sorry you didn't try your hand at the poetry, but I'm very interested in learning more about Allama Iqbal. Thanks!

Kiva said...

I googled Allama Iqbal and found some translations (my Urdu is non-existent). The translations are wonderful, but I bet they are much better in their native language.

Anonymous said...

That's true, a lot of emotion gets lots in translation. Also the rhythm of the rhymes get out of whack.

But at least the translations gives everyone a sense of what he was trying to say.