Saturday, January 19, 2008

Weekend Assignment #199

It’s that time of week again, this week’s assignment is:

What is your usual sleep schedule on weeknights? Are you an "early to bed, early to rise" sort of person, or do you stay awake far into the night (voluntarily or otherwise), and get up as late as your work schedule permits? Do you give priority to getting adequate sleep? If so, how is that working out for you?

Extra Credit: If you had no work or family scheduling obligations, would your sleeping pattern change substantially?

When I am bound to a work schedule I find that “early to bed, early to rise” is the best policy. That’s the only way I am able to remain fresh the next day. Also my religion encourages this policy, Muslims are required to get up right before the crack of dawn for prayers. Yeah I know it sounds tough but that’s the point, it helps increase your will power. I try to be as regular with my five daily prayers as I can, so you’ll find me up and about around sunrise. During the days I don’t have to follow a rigorous schedule I love staying up and watching a good movie, they just seem more fun at night.

I believe adequate sleep is important and I try getting eight hours each night. But with so many things to do like working, studying, exercising, reading, writing, errands, chores, I get around six or seven hours. But the thing is that after lunchtime I get sleepy and I usually take an hour-long nap, so I suppose that counts for something.

If I didn’t have any responsibilities and were left to my own whims, I would sleep ten hours a day. Preferably from 1 to 11 AM, because that’s when all the good movies are on. But what about your pre-dawn prayer (by the way it’s called Fajr), you ask? Well seeing how it only takes me ten minutes to complete this prayer I have learned to break my sleep, pray and then get back to sleeping!

2 comments:

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I find this really interesting, that your prayer schedule helps to define your sleep schedule, and also that you can go back to sleep after prayers if need be. I'm generally good at going back to sleep after a variety of brief activities (e.g answering the phone or getting up for a sip of Snapple), but my husband finds it impossible. Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

Thanks for taking interest I feel its important to have open lines of communication between cultures, especially during times like these.