Thursday, November 6, 2008

OK I'll Come clean

Due to popular demand (and because I was planning to) I am formally annoucing my intentions to Marry a good friend of mine (codenamed GF). We're getting engaged this Friday in a small ceremony arranged by our parents. They really wanted to go all out for this occasion. She's the only daughter and I am the only son so there is also a lot of emotion involved.

Here is where cultural differences become apparent. Weddings are huge in Pakistani culture the actual wedding will be a 4 day event (no date has been set). So by that standard the engagement ceremony should last 2 days. First GF's family will play host inviting their desired guest. Then my parents play host I get to invite all my friends. Naturally the UCF is invited but you'll have to schlep on over to Karachi by Monday night, PST. Email me if you want details. Full coverage of the ceremony will be given.

So yeah really excited, Think New Years eve while on ecstacy. Cloud nine is way down there as I gaze upon it from cloud 999999999999!!!! Logical subroutines being bypassed so I'll shut up now....

14 comments:

Ilya said...

Congratulations, Saqib! This is wonderful! I won't shlep to Karachi, sorry, but I'm very happy for you.

vince said...

I also offer me congratulations! I absolutely would shlep to Karachi if it were feasible, but as it's not, I will be there in spirit.

MWT said...

I knew it!!!

Congrats. :)

Janiece said...

W00t! Happiness abounds!

Congratulations to you and GF!

p.s. Will you change her code name after the official party?

mattw said...

Congratulations that amazing! I wish you both much happiness for the rest of your lives!

Anonymous said...

Yeah! That's just wonderful. I wish you both every joy.

While Karachi by Monday (what a great short story title!) is probably not feasible, I hope your family will be taking plenty of pictures, and that you'll share a few.

One question, though. Does she know about the UCF? Because I think you should tell her. Before. ;)

Nathan said...

Congrats!

I think it's wonderful that there is now such as thing as the Pakistani Schlep!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Saqib! That's fantastic!

No can do the Pakistani Schlep, though. :(

Woot, woot!

Tania said...

Congratulation! Hurrah Huzzah!

Even if we're not there in person, we'll be there in spirit. Or in the chat room.

Anonymous said...

where's teleportation when you need it?

We bought a new digital camcorder for this occasion plus the old camera is on standby. So there will be plenty of pictures and maybe a few clips.

The gravity of the situation hasn't sinked in yet. Am still imagining that I am just going to a party. Rest of my life...holy crap!

kimby said...

This is wonderful! See i knew there would be a party...which means chocolate!!!
Congratulations to you and GF.
You could live blog it..or live chat...we would behave-Really we would!

Eric said...

Congratulations, man!

Anonymous said...

Actually I'll be fed Mithai. Everyone is going to take a turn feeding me a spoonful. That's a lot of sugar. Wish me luck.

Anne C. said...

Man, I wish we could be there. This is not the first time I've wished for a transporter, and I'm sure it won't be the last. :)
Congratulations!