Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tech slangs in Urdu

I've been associated with the Pakistani IT Industry for the past 3 years. During that time I got to learn a lot. Not just the latest tools and techniques but also fun stuff like tech slangs. Here are a select few:

buggy software = huggu (really, really silly)
spectacular software = unth (really, really cool)
initialize/setup/activate = khurra kur do (stand it up)
up and running = chul ra hai (it's running)
system failure = bhait gia (it collapsed)
runtime error = phut gia (it blew up)

Of course these words are only used in informal discussions. All official communication is conducted using standard terminology so that everyone can understand.

4 comments:

vince said...

And now, a short letter to Microsoft:

"Dear Microsoft: Vista is still so huggu that I get a bhait gia or phut gia every few days. I wish your stupid software was easier to get chul ra hai. Maybe one of these days you could write some unth. But somehow I think that's not happening."

These words may be informal, but they're now entering my lexicon, and I'll be passing them along to my programming friends.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha! That's great man.

Saqib said...

you can also add "Bugga" for a computer bug and "Shushkay" for perks hehe

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!