Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Release your inner head banger

So far blog readers know that I am a Pakistani-American living abroad, that I am working on my thesis to complete my masters, that I am a sci-fi geek and that I love to write stories. But I haven’t mentioned enough times that I am also a metal head. I first talked about this part of my personality in this post. I tried introducing rock music to my friends in Pakistan. For the most part guys appreciate the earthy tones of the music. That is something that transcends race and appeals to the head banger inside us all.

However the influence travels two ways. I also got in touch with the Pakistani music scene and let me tell you it’s kicking. The grand daddy of all Desi (this word is derived from dhase meaning homeland) rock bands is Junoon. These guys kicked off their music careers by giving us a unique blend of Eastern and Western music. They get their inspiration from mystical Islam otherwise known as Sufism. However they’re far from being pacifist. They exploded onto the political scene with a mesmerizing guitar solo that mimicked the melody of the national anthem. Also their hit single Azadi (freedom) tells of the trails and tribulations faced during the Migration. Take a sip…




This trend-setting band has inspired others. However I am not familiar with them. Keeping up with the music biz is not a priority for me. Plus I find that these other bands, when compared to western heavy metal bands such as Metallica, don’t have enough oomph. I suppose that has to do with cultural differences. After all rock music is a foreign entity. I didn’t know how foreign until I demonstrated the finer points of head banging at a basant festival (this is the Hindi term for the spring festival) only to be greeted with curious stares.

So what do you think about rock music? Are you into it? If not what kind of music do you like? Share!

4 comments:

vince said...

I'm a huge rock music fan, but own and appreciate music from most genre's. Can't say as I'm a big rap/hip-hop fan, and polka is right out.

When I'm working and listening to music, I tend towards jazz and folk, while rock and blues is what I relax to. I enjoyed Junoon - I see Amazon carrys their CDs.

And good luck on your masters!

Anonymous said...

"Can't say as I'm a big rap/hip-hop fan, and polka is right out."

wholeheartedly agree! I am unable to listen to music if my work demands concentration.

Nathan said...

My musical tastes were formed in the 60' and 70's. Never got into heavy metal or hair bands.

Interestingly, I never liked AC/DC or Aerosmith, but find myself cranking it now if they come on the radio when I'm in the car. Go Figure.

Rap/hip-hop is an abomination but some of the early stuff that riffed off of rock or downright sampled it was pretty cool.

Anonymous said...

You have a point. I must admit I like Will Smith as an actor and a singer.