Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Sham elections can do no good

It’s been a while since the US mandated elections of February 18 ended. I waited until now to give my views because I knew the aftermath would be much more interesting. First of all I have to admit that I was surprised to see the opposition take control over parliament. Now that Musharraf’s cronies are out of commission there was a chance that a coalition led by the PPP (Bhutto’s party) and the PML-N (Nawaz Sharif’s party) could be formed to bring back ousted chief justice Iftikhar Chaudry, who could then lead a formal inquiry into Pervez Musharraf’s crimes against humanity.

But as usual constant bickering and grandstanding squandered this opportunity. Seeing an opening for its self the Bush administration jumped in and backed Musharraf as a key ally in the war on terror. Let me tell you that kinda talk doesn’t score points with the Pakistani people. Bush is already unpopular the world over and if he goes around backing other unpopular presidents, well that just makes him super unpopular. Of course his reputation is already so far gone that I don’t think these last few blunders will make a difference.

No comments: