Monday, February 25, 2008

Me and Dogs

Let’s get one thing straight I don’t like dogs. They may be man’s best friend but tell man to keep them on a tight leash. My earliest experience with dogs was when I was a kid. I used to live in Queens and in the part of town where I lived everyone had a back alley. Good for drug dealers and for pulling out of makeshift driveways. The guy next door had two pit bulls with a tenacious appetite for human flesh. If they saw you anywhere near their owner’s fence they would come running. Teeth bared eyes fixed on you. Their barks were deep and throaty, strong enough to paralyze you with fear. If there wasn’t a chain link fence between us there would have been a serious mauling.

Then there was King he lived further up the alley. I don’t know his breed but he was the size of a goat, he was mild mannered but we would duck back into our backyard when we saw him coming anyway. It seemed everyone had a dog in my neighborhood and they all wanted to play when you were playing. I’ve been chased off of my own lawn, been pursued on my bike and been snapped at when getting off the bus.

So yeah dogs suck and if you don’t like it, well then…bite me!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too funny! My blog is named "Smug Puppies" although it's not at all about dogs. The header logo is our three dogs - who together weigh 45 lbs - and together are so silly & stupid they couldn't escape from a paper bag.

They are, however, relaxing to play with and never fail to make me smile after a long stressful day.

I can understand why you'd have a different perspective with the experiences you describe!

Unknown said...

I suppose I could learn to like dogs if I start off with a puppy. As it grows I'll probably get used to it.

Hmmm...kinda sounds like anti-phobia treatment!